This is the talk page for Template:Unconfirmed.
See Saints Row Wiki:Discussions for discussion policies.
This header was created in order to increase the trustworthiness of the information on the wiki.
But it's being used for the opposite purpose. Some people are using the existence of this header as "evidence" that the information on the wiki isn't factual.
My personal opinions of their intelligence and motivations aside, the pertinent question is: How do we fix this?
Can the header be improved to avoid people somehow coming to that conclusion? Or to at least update it to the point where it's impossible for it to be used against us?
The header seems appropriately worded to me.
I figured that a big "Be aware that this information was added before the game came out" notice would help inform people that they should be wary, not that they shouldn't believe anything.
I could add a full paragraph to the header about how promotional material is often misleading, and how no matter what, information is only as good as the proof, and anyone who believes what they read without checking whether there's any proof deserves to be misled, but I don't think a page-long rant would work very well.
I've reworded it significantly, but any suggestions for additional improvements are welcome. -452 18:13, September 27, 2013 (UTC)
- I've changed the category to be "Pre-release information", rather than "Speculative content", and further clarified the text of the template. -452 (talk) 02:09, March 30, 2014 (UTC)
In hindsight, Template:Upcoming is poorly named, which contributes to users misunderstanding the purpose of the template.
I propose renaming it to Template:Unconfirmed, since the purpose is to say "This article contains unconfirmed information".
To give time for feedback and reflection, I'll do this in a month.
Does anyone have any alternate ideas? -452 16:04, November 30, 2015 (UTC)
- I've come up with no alternate ideas, but I still think some kind of update is needed. -452 13:04, January 4, 2016 (UTC)
- Unconfirmed is as good as any, renaming now and updating all articles. -452 14:58, March 27, 2016 (UTC)
- Template and Category renamed, all uses updated, redirects deleted.
- In case anyone wonders: the reason this template replacement was done immediately instead of gradually is because that the purpose of this change was to solve a behavioural problem: people seeing "unconfirmed" and assuming that the template needs to be removed. Replacing the template gradually would mean that this behaviour would continue. Hopefully people will now confirm the unconfirmed information instead of simply removing the template. -452 16:35, March 27, 2016 (UTC)