This is a talk page, used for discussing improvements to the ... and a Better Life article.
- Comments and questions about improving the ... and a Better Life article. are always welcome here.
- For general discussion and questions about playing the game, please use the forum.
- You do not need to ask for permission to edit the ... and a Better Life article, go for it!
- If there is an existing discussion about proposed changes, please contribute to that discussion.
- If you have something to add to a past discussion, feel free to reply!
- It doesn't matter how much time has passed since the last comment.
- See Category:Active Discussions for a list of other topics which need responses.
can a admin lock this page due to some recent vandalism18.104.22.168 20:01, June 15, 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for reverting the vandalism. We only lock pages due to sustained vandalism, and this appears to be an isolated incident. The vandal has been given a block, and will receive a longer block if they return. --452 21:37, June 15, 2012 (UTC)
I don't remember these lines, and they're not in the transcript, apparently there was supposed to be an "anna show" closing cutscene. I think I'll try finishing the game and quitting to the menu to see if it plays.
- ANNA_TSSE4_CUT03_1 = So how does the incident at the Phillips Building affect your recently announced Shivington renovation?
- MONICA_TSSE04_CUT03_1 = It doesn't...if I learned one thing from my husband it's that we can't let terror grip our lives. These 3rd Street Saints want to cause chaos, and the moment we alter the way we live our lives because of fear we're empowering the Saints even more.
- ANNA_TSSE4_CUT03_2 = So we can be expecting some great things to come from Monica Hughes?
- MONICA_TSSE04_CUT03_2 = Trust me Anna, like my husband, I only think big.
- TROY_TSSE4_CUT03_1 = As of this time we have yet to apprehend the assassins responsible for Dane Vogel's death, but rest assured we will find them...
- ULTORANNC_TSSE4_CUT03_1 = Ultor: A brighter future, and a better life.
- WMYNG_TSSE04_CUT03_1 = ...making this Aisha's 8th posthumous record to go triple platinum. In other news... Dane Vogel, newly appointed Ultor Chairman and number 3 on our list of Sexiest Corporate Power Players, was shot and defenestrated today...
- -452 06:36, May 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Yeah, probably, it is very similar. Since it's so similar, it's possible that they reused the text after the scrapped the end cutscene. But if the game dumps you at the main menu after the credits - as a lot of games do - it's entirely possible that this could be in the game and no-one ever noticed. -452 14:18, May 25, 2013 (UTC)
- The problem is, I don't have a saved game from "just before the end". I have my 100%, and a whole bunch of early saves, the most missions completed on them is 28/56. -452 14:49, May 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Well, after checking a YouTube video, it certainly doesn't play during the credits. I'd play through the mission but, like you, I don't have any saves before 100%. Bah, this is seriously going to bother me - I'm sure I remember hearing the part from "In other news..." and onwards from somewhere. – Moozipan Cheese(talk page) 15:02, May 25, 2013 (UTC)
- I was planning to replay most of the game anyway to check the Hideout upgrades, so I guess i'm playing through the whole game! (I'm going to do this first though, because it's a potentially bigger revelation). -452 15:33, May 25, 2013 (UTC)
- No luck. I just finished the game. Well, the missions at least, inc revelation. After the credits, you're outside the Phillips Building. I'm at 96% completion because I'd only done half the CDs and tags at that point, but I doubt that the completion has anything to do with it.
- The string names indicate it's a 3rd cutscene, so it really should play with the mission. One telling thing is that the cutscene doesn't have a defined name - unlike all the others. It can't be an idle menu screen movie because it would have to be a video file (because it can't use the game engine because the game isn't loaded) - and there isn't a video file.
- So, it just looks like it was originally planned, but scrapped at some point. I'll have to dig through the audio files and see if they are in there. In theory, they should be with the audio from the End Game cutscene, so it shouldn't be that hard to find.
- Depending on how completed it was, it may be possible to mod it back into the game. But I don't even know if it's possible to mess with cutscenes around like that. -452 08:03, May 26, 2013 (UTC)
- Oh, I forgot, it has a name, tsse04-cut03 is "End Game", so what we're looking at are lines cut from End Game. So I really didn't need to play through, and there probably isn't an unused cutscene file I can mod into the game. But there are probably some audio files. -452 08:10, May 26, 2013 (UTC)
- Except that cutscene audio are single files, so there's a 2m47s audio track for End Game, and since those lines were supposed to be part of End Game, it's looking like they don't exist. Maybe there are some individual tracks elsewhere, they will be much harder to find, but I'll keep an ear out.
- Still, even without being able to see it, or hear it, it's still some interesting Trivia that no-one else has uncovered before (according to google) -452 16:13, May 26, 2013 (UTC)
- I forgot I've actually already sorted most of the mission-related audio. I've sorted the cutscenes into cutscene folders, and the in-mission audio into a folder for each character, the cutscene audio was the only unsorted thing I had left, and it's a disarray because there's 9 files per cutscene (6 voices, plus 3 ambient bg tracks for surround sound), but they're not together, and they're not in any kind of order. It jumps all around the game, while the in-mission audio is at least grouped by character.
- Anyway, so the chances of finding audio for this are incredibly small. -452 17:20, May 26, 2013 (UTC)
- MSN_EP04_DISPLAY_NAME = ... and a Better Life
- TSSE04-01 = ... and a Better Life
- IG_ep04_scene1 = ... and a Better Life
Typically, "display name" is used. TSSE04-01 is the newspaper clipboard name, and I don't know what "IG_" is for, but IG_ strings only exist for certain missions, rather than all of them.
File:... and a Better Life - complete 50000 cash.png and File:... and a Better Life - Bear with 6 Masako soldiers.png clearly show the space, so display name is definitely used there.
In 2011, I changed the capitalisation, but the space has always been missing. I'll double-check in game later, but I think this article needs to be renamed. -452 20:56, August 19, 2015 (UTC)
- Well, so much for the newspaper clipboard theory: it also has a space. I cannot find a single in-game instance of the mission without a space. Renaming now. -452 15:58, August 22, 2015 (UTC)
- I've updated all uses of the link, and deleted the redirect. If a use is found in game which omits the space, the redirect can be recreated. -452 01:11, March 13, 2016 (UTC)