Marked: ?. Minimum kills: ?
- You did good, but I'm not through with you yet. Those cars you stole have been rigged to blow once the engine reaches a high enough temperature. I need you to make sure those cars get nice and hot. There's a race going down in Chinatown tonight, and I think you should give them some tough competition. I know these guys. If you're in the lead for the final stretch, they're gonna hit the nitrous to blow past you. When they do, boom. As soon as those cars are wrecked, get the hell outta there. You're no good to us dead.
Lin meets Playa in secrecy yet again, this time dancing in a nightclub, and congratulates them on a job well-done regarding their work on the previous mission, "Stacking the Deck". She says that after Playa delivered the vehicles to Samson, he loaded them up with explosives, before delivering them to the Westside Rollerz, who were none the wiser. The explosives in each vehicle are detonated when the engine reaches a high temperature, which can only be achieved when nitrous is activated. Conveniently, a race is taking place nearby, and Lin instructs Playa to take part - if he can hold steady in first place, the racers will activate their nitrous in an attempt to take over and win. She then thanks Playa for the dance, and tells them to leave for the race.
Outside the nightclub, Troy meets up with Playa and suggests a better, easier plan: taunting the Westside Rollerz racers into activating their nitrous. They use Troy's car, a Zircon, to accomplish exactly this, and, as Lin predicted, the cars explode.
- Lin doesn't fuck around, does she...
- — Troy
The following text has been transcribed verbatim from the game files.
Upon completion of the Mission, it is available in-game on the 'Story' page, accessed from the 'INFO' tab of the pause menu.
This second mission in the Westside Rollerz story arc, is another straight-forward one.
- Get a car and head to the race.
- Come in first to win the race.
- The taunt meter will fill when you're close to an enemy.
- Stay close to the driver to taunt him.
The objective is not to win the race, but to stay close to three enemy drivers as Troy taunts them. As he does, their individual taunt meters fill up - once they are full, the racers activate their nitrous; a fatal mistake that causes their cars to explode just moments later.
The race is fairly long, giving more than enough time to taunt all three racers easily. There is no need to pay attention to the race itself - simply stay close to a driver so Troy can taunt them into activating their nitrous, and repeat twice more.
The first Westside Rollerz territory is awarded upon completion of the level.
- Cash: None
- Respect: None
- Neighborhood: Chinatown
- Mission: Guardian Angel
- Stronghold: Pleasant View Storage
- Lin states that the race takes place in Chinatown at night, despite the fact that it clearly takes place in the Suburbs, Arena, and Apartments Districts at any time of day.
- The subtitles in this cutscene say "nitrous", but Lin actually says "NOS", which is another term for nitrous oxide.
- Troy's Zircon can be destroyed with no penalty.
- The race uses the same route as the Level 8 Westside Rollerz Racing Activity.
- Troy refers to the race as "lap-race bullshit"; a lap race is when racers drive around a track multiple times - this is a checkpoint race.
- Troy notes his concern over Lin being undercover, stating, "you roll with people long enough [...] you start [thinking] like [them]". Troy is later revealed to be an undercover cop at the end of the game, giving this line some ambiguity; he may be worried about Lin thinking like the Westside Rollerz, and, perhaps, he's worried that he's thinking like the 3rd Street Saints.
- Driving between the flaming barrels is not required, and taking part in the actual race is completely optional.
- The weapon wheel is locked out once the race begins, preventing firing upon the opponents.
- Come to the nightclub. Samson's done workin' on those cars, and we gotta talk about what we're gonna do with 'em.
- — Lin, pre-mission phone call
"Turning on the Heat" cutsceneEdit
- Lin: "Try not to look so conspicuous."
Lin: "You did good, but I'm not through with you yet. Those cars you stole have been rigged to blow once the engine reaches a high enough temperature. I need you to make sure those cars get nice and hot. There's a race going down in Chinatown tonight, and I think you should give them some tough competition. I know these guys. If you're in the lead for the final stretch, they're gonna hit the nitrous to blow past you. When they do, boom. As soon as those cars are wrecked, get the hell outta there. You're no good to us dead."
Lin: "Thanks for the dance. Now hurry up, you got a race to win."
- — "Turning on the Heat" cutscene
- Troy: "Hey man, let's get to the race...look, I don't care what Lin says, you get me next to those cars and I'll take care of the Rollerz, to hell with this lap-race bullshit."
Troy: "I don't like the idea of Lin going undercover, you roll with people long enough and pretty soon you start thinkin' like 'em..."
Troy: "Alright, here they are...I hope Lin followed up on her end of the deal..."
- — Car chat
- Troy: "You gotta get closer..."
Troy: "Get me next to that fucker...."
Troy: "Pull up to that Roller..."
- — When too far to Taunt
- Troy: "Come on, I thought you Rollerz knew how to race!"
Troy: "That the best you got?"
Troy: "Be sure to have your slip ready..."
Troy: "Hey, be careful with my car..."
Troy: "Tell ya what, you ask nicely and I'll let you wash my car on weekends..."
Troy: "You think you can beat us in that piece of shit?"
Troy: "Go back to the suburbs, you prep school muthafucka!"
Troy: "You shoulda stayed home..."
Troy: "If I knew racing you chumps was this easy, I woulda took your slip months ago..."
Troy: "Oh, come on, you can do better than that..."
Troy: "I don't wanna hear any bitching when you gotta give me your parents' car..."
Troy: "See ya, chump..."
Troy: "You didn't know who you were fucking with, did ya?"
Troy: "You never had a chance..."
Troy: "Don't even bother tryin' to catch up!"
Troy: "I knew you Rollerz were all talk..."
Troy: "You don't really think you can win, do you?"
Troy: "You're outta your league, kid!"
Troy: "You Rollerz are a fuckin' joke!"
Troy: "Watching a movie about street racers doesn't make you a tuner, buddy!"
- — Troy taunting a driver
- Westside Rollerz racer: "See ya at the finish line, bitch!"
Westside Rollerz racer: "Works every time..."
Westside Rollerz racer: "See you at the line, chump."
- — Westside Rollerz driver, before activating their nitrous
- Troy: "That didn't look fun..."
Troy: "The kid needed thicker skin..."
Troy: "Lin doesn't fuck around, does she..."
- — Troy reacts to the Westside Rollerz vehicle exploding
- Good work man, all we can do now is sit tight and wait for Lin...
- — Troy
- Troy: "Yeah, I don't think they're too happy..."
Troy: "Let's get the hell outta here man!"
Troy: "We gotta get back to the Row!"
Troy: "Come on, shake these assholes!"
Troy: "Once we're back in the Row these bitches can't touch us..."
Troy: "That was too easy..."
- — When escaping
- Hey, come to the church and pick me up, I wanna see if those trust fund babies can match their rep...
- — Troy
- Once the race starts, make sure you get me close to those assholes...
- — Troy
- I think that pissed 'em off, we gotta get back to the Row...
- — Troy
- ↑ Cutscene: Turning on the Heat
- ↑ Image:
- ↑ Image:
- ↑ Image:
- ↑ Image:
- ↑ Image:
- ↑ Cutscene: Salting the Earth