Monica Hughes is the widow of Richard Hughes.
Saints Row 2
After Richard's death at Julius Little's hands, she became the mayor of Stilwater. She supported her husband in all his plans, but her unhappiness started when Richard started working with Ultor. From there Ultor slowly faded away Richard's legacy by taking credit for the radical redevelopment plans he created. First, Richard's plan was called the Hughes Initiative, then the Ultor-Hughes Initiative, then just the Ultor Initiative. Because of this, she grew to hate Ultor.
Saints Row: The Third
After the events of Saints Row 2, Hughes, now a U.S. Senator, traveled to back to Stilwater to begin construction on Hughes Memorial Bridge.
After this bridge is destroyed by the Luchadores in an attempt to ambush the Saints leadership, she travels to Washington D.C. to present the "STAG Initiative", a group of trained soldiers and mercenaries to be used to subdue the gang violence in Steelport. After STAG is approved, she is on constant watch, making sure they do what they're supposed to, while trying to stay good in the public eye. At the end of the game there is a choice which affects Hughes' behavior in the cutscene at the end of the mission,
After killing Killbane, she becomes angry, believing that the Saints are responsible for destroying the monument.[Reference needed] After a meeting with STAG Commander, Cyrus Temple, she reluctantly gives him permission to bring in the Daedalus. After killing Cyrus and destroying the Daedalus, Playa sends a message to Hughes, declaring Steelport an independent city-state.
Save Shaundi and Viola
After saving Shaundi, Viola DeWynter and Burt Reynolds, Monica congratulates the Saints, mainly to stay within favor of the public eye. Cyrus disapproves of this, but she orders STAG out of town for threatening to destroy a monument.
Saints Row IV
Saints Row 2
- When using a generic girl as a human shield, she says "do you know who my mother is?! Monica Hughes! She is the mayor of Stilwater!"
- Cheerleaders practicing around Stilwater University chant "it's okay, we won't lose, we'll just cheat like Mayor Hughes!"
Saints Row The Third
- In Saints Row: The Third CG trailer, it is revealed on the TV in the background that Monica Hughes is now a Senator.[Reference needed]
- In Saints Row: The Third, she is a behind-the-scenes antagonist, being the person who ordered the creation of STAG, causing much more trouble for the Saints.
- She looks younger in Saints Row: The Third than she does in Saints Row 2.
Saints Row IV
- During the mission The Case of Mr. X there is a screen with the headline of Monica Hughes that reads, "Breaking: Hughes Welcomes Zin-Yak All hail our glorious new leader. Zin-Yak Promises bi-partisan dictatorship."
- A cut homie conversation between Phillipe Loren and Cyrus Temple reveals that Hughes and Loren had a long-standing business arrangement, part of which including the building of the Hughes Memorial Bridge with funding from Loren.
- Relation: Spouse
- Cutscene: Saints and Martyrs
- Cutscene: Septic Avenger at Red Light District
- Mission: ... and a Better Life, "A Brighter Future..." cutscene
- Mission: Return to Steelport
- Mission: The Ho Boat
- Mission: Gang Bang
- Mission: STAG Film
- Mission: Three Way, "Save Shaundi" choice
- Image: "Senator Monica Hughes set to announce presidential bid in the..."
- Image: News ticker in Saints Row: The Third's Genkibowl VII DLC.
- Image: Monica Hughes mention SR4
- Image: Monica-fromashawithlove
- Image: Monica-fromashawithlove2
- Dialogue: Homie conversation: