|Saints Row: The Third|
|Saints Row IV|
|Saints Row IV|
|Also known as||
- The thing that's interesting about him is that when he's by himself he thinks that he's god.
- — Steve Jaros, lead writer of Saints Row: The Third
Matt Miller is the leader of the Deckers, and like Phillipe Loren, Killbane, Viola, and Kiki DeWynter a member of The Syndicate. He is an expert in all instances of cyber crime such as hacking, and is usually the guy whom the rest of the Syndicate goes to for such instances. Despite the grave threat he poses to the cyber community, Matt is timid and a physical weakling who relies on his intellectual strengths to deal with any adversaries. He speaks with an English accent from the north of London, and is only 16 years old during Saints Row: The Third.
Matt Miller has a major obsession for technology, which he incorporates it into his clothing, such as a wrist band on his right arm which features a key pad and screen with a neon blue trim, and various high-tech features on his dark, neon blue, light-up jacket. He is a described Internet god but is socially awkward when out in the open. Matt and his gang are computer geniuses, but in stark contrast to the Luchadores or the Morningstar, they are more subtle in their commitment of cyber crime. In addition, all of them dress in very much the same way, sporting dark clothing with neon-blue highlights.
Steve Jaros, lead writer of Saints Row: The Third, says, "he's super cocky and kind of obnoxious and is very self-assured in what he does. However, when he's around Killbane or Phillipe, he's like a 15-year-old kid sitting at the big kid table". Matt comes off as a stereotypical internet troll when he's behind technology, but around other members of the Syndicate he is very shy and fearful, because of the fact that they could kill him quickly if they wanted to. So under these circumstances he usually acts respectfully by staying mostly silent.
Saints Row: The ThirdEdit
Little information is given about Matt's background. Matt is "the youngest and newest member of the Syndicate", "an extremely talented hacker from England" and was first recruited into the Syndicate because "Phillipe couldn't figure out how to use his cell phone".[reference?]
He completely drains the 3rd Street Saints' bank accounts after Playa and Shaundi land in Steelport. After the death of Phillipe Loren, Killbane assumes full control of the Syndicate and Matt voices very little objection, mostly out of fear. After the Saints raid the Morningstar cargo ship and recover hoes, Matt anonymously calls Playa and offers to buy them back. Killbane is enraged by Matt's actions and Matt promises to ask his consent of every decision from that point on. He witnesses Killbane kill Kiki DeWynter with a one-handed neck snap, which causes both him and Viola DeWynter to panic. Playa and Shaundi plan to assassinate Killbane by sniping him off from their helicopter, but are narrowly thwarted when Matt hacks into the helicopter's flight computer and overloads it with an EMP, causing it to crash. Matt then mocks Playa by sending him a text reading "Cheers ;)".
Matt manages to get surveillance of Kinzie Kensington's "inner sanctum" through her own personal computer. After gaining key information, he mocks Kinzie and Playa on video. It is the first time Playa sees and hears Matt. Kinzie eventually figures out how to upload Playa's subconscious into the "Decker Use-Net" using a stolen NEMO device, where Playa defeats Matt in combat despite Matt's control over the virtual world's laws of physics. Because too much shock in the virtual world would leave him brain-dead, Matt is threatened with death and convinces Playa to spare him in exchange for either weapon or car customization discounts.
Immediately after his defeat, Matt Miller nervously requests from Killbane to let him leave the Syndicate. To Matt's surprise, Killbane graciously lets him go and offers to let him "list [Killbane] as a reference anytime". A post-mission news report by Jane Valderamma reveals that after leaving town, Matt Miller swore off modern technology and left the world of hacking. Valderamma also claims that former associates of Mr Miller has stated that he has always been fascinated by Neo-Luddism and decided it was time to make a change.
Saints Row IVEdit
Before the events of Saints Row IV, Matt Miller joins MI6 with Asha Odekar and works with the 3rd Street Saints to assassinate ex-STAG commander-turned-terrorist, Cyrus Temple. When Playa hops onto the nuke targeted for Washington D.C., Kinzie encourages everyone to say their final goodbyes. Miller confesses that had he known that Playa would sacrifice themself for the sake of the world, he would've never tried to kill them. Thankfully, Playa destroys the nuke and lands safely in the Oval Office.
Five years later, Playa is President of the United States and has many of the 3rd Street Saints in his administration. Asha and Matt come to warn the President of an impending alien invasion, due to their superiors at MI6 disbelieving their claims. But their warning comes too late, as the alien Zin invade that very day. Miller and Asha briefly fight alongside Playa before they are all abducted.
Miller is trapped in a virtual simulation of his own worst fear: a text-based roleplaying adventure that he couldn't control. Playa later arrives to rescue him, select the proper dialogue to help free Miller, including helping him defeat Killbane. He is then freed from his prison in the real world, albeit naked. Playa then goes to rescue him piloting power armor. Once they rendezvous, Miller helps fully activate the power armor's weapons, enabling them to escape.
Matt then creates a training simulation based on his Nyte Blayde fanfiction, where he was Nyte Blayde's close friend/ally and Playa was his sidekick, much to the latter's frustration. As they aided Nyte Blayde in his hunt for the Cardinal, Matt retells the premise and story of the show to Playa, who is surprised by how intriguing it was. Unfortunately, Zinyak alters the simulation so Nyte Blayde would believe that Matt was a traitor. After killing Nyte Blayde, Matt becomes dismayed that he was forced to kill his hero. Playa responds by giving him ownership of all the rights of Nyte Blayde, much to the hacker's joy. Playa also suggests Matt absorb the virtual Nyte Blade's powers, allowing Matt superpowers inside the simulation.
Matt also creates a Professor Genki's S.E.R.C.-style simulation for Johnny Gat. He removes Playa's superpowers for their first run of the simulation, and gives Johnny and Playa powers for the second run, as a favor to Johnny. He also creates a simulated version of Phillipe Loren as a favor to both Johnny and Playa, figuring that the circumstances of Johnny's kidnapping and Loren's death mean neither really got sufficient vengeance against the real Loren.
Saints Row: Gat out of HellEdit
While celebrating Kinzie's birthday, Matt has the Saints try out a Juju board to determine who Playa will marry. As he, Shaundi, Gat, Kinzie and Playa put their hands on the planchette, the piece starts moving on its own, spelling out "Jezebel", and Playa is abruptly sucked through a portal into Hell. Gat then grabs Matt, demanding to know where he got the board. The hacker admits to have found it in Zinyak's artifact collection, and it formerly belonged to Alister Crowley. Gat and Kinzie decide to go in after Playa, Matt expressed his concern that he had a terrible plan, but quickly changed his statement when Gat placed him in charge while they're gone.
- Matt Miller is featured under M in The ABCs of Saints Row.
- Matt Miller was born in 1998.
Saints Row: The ThirdEdit
- He is the only Syndicate leader who does not have a location with a name similar to him.
- Of all the antagonists in the game series, Matt is the only one who acts shocked when someone is killed, screaming "Christ Killbane!" and being visually distraught when he kills Kiki DeWynter.
- Miller's in-game outfit is very different from his promotional artwork.
- He is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, who provided the voice of Shogo Akuji in Saints Row 2. Matt Miller begged for his life, out of fear of dying, Shogo begged for death, out of fear of being buried alive.
- He is one of few enemy gang leaders who are spared during the series. Others include Killbane, who escapes; and Benjamin King and Viola DeWynter, who defect.
- Matt was let into the Syndicate because Phillipe could not figure out how to use his cell phone.
- His online handle is R4gn0r0k.
- R4gn0r0k is a reference to the old Norse word "Ragnarok", meaning "Armageddon". It is commonly interpreted as the "final destiny of God", falling in line with Matt's belief of being God in his own virtual reality.
- Keeping with his nature, Playa never meets Matt in person. The closest is at the end of "http://deckers.die" where his digital avatar takes on his real-world appearance.
- Matt Miller often mockingly addresses Kinzie as "Agent Kensington" with emphasis on "Agent". This is a reference to him being responsible for her termination as an FBI agent.
- When he says "Don't you get it? I'm God here." that is a reference from the film The Lawnmower Man.
- During the mission "http://deckers.die", Matt reveals he is a fan of Nyte Blayde and has modeled his cyber world after an important building in the series.
- At 16, Matt Miller is the youngest character in the Saints Row series, as well as the only faction leader known to be younger than Playa.
- When the Saints Row website was taken down prior to Saints Row: The Third's release in October 2011, a message stated "Forums and Registration [were] closed for maintenance while [they got] Matt Miller out of the system."
Saints Row IVEdit
- By the events of Saints Row IV, Matt is somewhere around in his early 20s.
- During character creation, the bottom news bar displays: "Fan petition to bring cult TV series NYTE BLAYDE to the big screen gains traction. "We're very hopeful this will see the light of day, unlike the titular character who must remain forever in the darkness," says petition founder R4gn0r0k.[reference?]
- Due to being the first Homie rescued, Matt is the first homie who can gain Super Powers.
- At the end of his Loyalty mission, Matt Miller owns all the rights, merchandise and publishing deals of the Nyte Blade franchise thanks to Playa.
- Matt is more friendly towards Kinzie and actually uses her first name regularly unlike in Saints Row: The Third, but Kinzie still shows hostility towards him, but during Welcome Back, Kinzie does stick up for him when Playa loses their temper and attacks him.
- Matt is 1 of 2 homies that require Playa to physically retrieve from the Zin, the other person being Gat. All the other homies after being rescued are already on the ship.
- Playa's Female voice 2 refers to Matt as "Matthew" throughout the game.
- Matt is now the same height as Playa.
- Matt's suit on the ship has a very large collar similar to his Deckers outfit. While other homies wear parts of their default apparel in addition to their ship suit, Matt is the only one to modify his suit.
- Matt Miller and Benjamin King are the only gang leaders in the series to survive all the way up to the events of Saints Row IV and become allies to the 3rd Street Saints. They have a few other things in common as well in that while they initially oppose the Saints with their respective gangs, but eventually both drop their flags in favor of more legitimate lifestyles. King becomes a best-selling author; Matt becomes an MI6 agent and uses his skills to help save the United States from Cyrus Temple.
- Unlike King, Matt actually does try to kill Playa on several occasions. It was only out of fear and desperation after his defeat at the Saints' leader's hand that led him to abandon the gang lifestyle.
- At best, the most that Ben King tried to do in terms of dealing with the Saints was to have Police Chief Monroe put more pressure on them.
- Both Matt and King's outfits are unlocked in the Wardrobe after completing their the Side Quests. Matt's outfit has emphasis on technology while King's outfit has emphasis on style.
- Matt and King's homie conversation ends on a negative tone with Matt choosing his words poorly and King getting offended by it.
- Matt and King both incorporate their old gang colours in to their new outfits both wearing scarves that are blue and yellow respectively.
- His super powered outfit is based on Nyte Blayde.
- Matt uses a 9MM Tactical as a Homie. He also uses a Xenoblaster during Matt's Back.
- That punk kid is the cyber god who just crashed your helicopter. Cheers!
- Matt Miller: "The Saints aren't going to back down..."
Killbane: "Matty, there's nothing to worry about."
Phillipe Loren: "My thoughts exactly, Mr. Killbane."
- — Matt Miller, Killbane and Phillipe Loren
- This is my world to shape as I see fit, not yours.
- — Matt Miller in http://deckers.die
- Matt Miller: "I literally have the world at my fingertips."
Playa: "Little vague Matt, gotta do better."
- — Matt Miller and Playa
- Thanks for the tip Agent Kensington.
- — Matt Miller to Kinzie in Learning Computer
- Matt Miller: "Ladies, it was a pretty shit plan."
Kiki DeWynter: "Tell me something, Matt. Did you have a plan?"
- — Matt Miller and Kiki DeWynter
- With respect, sir... I'd say "empty" is no longer applicable.
- — Matt Miller to Phillipe Loren, on the Saints's "empty" threats.
- I may exist in meat space, but I live in cyber space.
- — Matt Miller in an ad for Lowdown
- Matt: "Look at you puffing your chest like your someone who's important. You better understand that you have no tactic I haven't planned for. You see, you'll never be as smart as me, but there's not one thing you can do that I can't."Matt: "Agist."Playa: "Oh yeah? Buy a pack of cigarettes."
Playa - Zombie: "Grumbles"
- — During Learning Computer
- Main article: Audio Logs
- I'd say it's a tough world for someone to live in, but I'd be lying. Well, if they were the god of the cyber world like I was that is. Put me in front of the latest technology and there wasn't anything I couldn't do. Even the FBI couldn't stop me, and believe me they tried. Kinzie Kensington came close, but a few additions to her file and some photos and even she couldn't come close to crashing my fun. Probably why I was recruited into the Syndicate in the first place.
- — Matt Audio Log 1
- Working for the Syndicate was a great job. That is until Phillipe Loren died, because Killbane was one scary psychopath. I mean, I watched him kill Kiki right in front of me, and right in front of her own sister! So I went after the Saints instead. Wrong choice on my part. But they let me live, and surprisingly so did Killbane. Only option then was to leave the country and hide.
- — Matt Audio Log 2
- How was I supposed to know that MI6 would end up offering me asylum just so they could pair me up with one of their operatives? I mean, Asha and I got along great, but now I had to work with the government instead of against it. Not usually my cup of tea. Still, I guess it's better than being hunted down by the Saints or Killbane. I just have to keep myself from pissing off a trained killer is all.
- — Matt Audio Log 3
Matt and Asha
- Asha: "How are you enjoying the field work, Matt?"
Matt Miller: "To be honest I'd rather coordinate efforts from a safe distance. Mastermind is more my speed."
Asha: "Come on now, you have to admit there's an allure to being in the middle of the action."
Matt Miller: "An allure? Is it spy-code for dirt, blood, fire, nausea and the insufferable blatherings of monosyllabic enemies that all look alike?"
Matt Miller: "Well then, yes it does have an allure."
Matt and CID
- CID: "By the way, Matt, I finished retrieving your data from the satellite backup like you asked."
Matt Miller: "Oh. Good."
CID: "I took the liberty of partitioning one of the drives on The Ship and putting the data there for easy retrieval."
Matt Miller: "You did what!?"
CID: "I also informed Kinzie that I sequestered 1.4 terabytes of onboard storage for the task and asked that she check the data for infection and completeness."
Matt Miller: "You told Kinzie?"
CID: "Yes, Ms. Kensington made it very clear to me that she should be informed of anything related to the ship."
Matt Miller: "You told Kinzie!"
CID: "You sound distressed, I would not worry. There is nothing to be embarrassed about, I imagine Ms. Kensington has already seen herself naked."
Matt Miller: "Shit."
Matt and Fun Shaundi
- Fun Shaundi: "Wow, so I hear you're like a super smart hacker."
Matt Miller: "Oh, you heard right. Yes, I am of a sophisticated intellect."
Fun Shaundi: "But you're way more chill than Kinzie, she's kinda high-strung."
Matt Miller: "Perhaps I'm more confidant in my abilities."
Fun Shaundi: "You're also kinda cute."
Matt Miller: "Oh! Well, thank you."
Fun Shaundi: "And you have that cute accent. What are you doing after this? You wanna smoke a bulb? Maybe see where things go?"
Matt Miller: "I... don't think older you would appreciate that very much."
Fun Shaundi: "She doesn't have to know."
Matt Miller: "But she would. Older Shaundi knows everything."
Matt and Gat
- Matt Miller: "If you don't mind me saying so Johnny, you're not nearly the psychopathic killing machine I was led to believe."
Johnny Gat: "Oh, yeah? I guess I'll take that as a compliment."
Matt Miller: "In fact I think I get you. Power at any cost, ultimate control, absolute loyalty to yourself. You and I share that, Johnny."
Johnny Gat: "All right, yeah. You know you're not so bad, Miller."
Matt Miller: "We're like brothers."
Matt and Keith
- Matt Miller: "I'm a big fan of your work, Mr. David."
Keith David: "We're fighting side by side, Matt. Please, call me Keith."
Matt Miller: "I can't say I've seen everything, but definitely all the big stuff. Which would you say is your favorite role?"
Keith David: "I'd say my favorite role is that of the Vice President of the United States."
Matt Miller: "Really? Which movie was that?"
Keith David: "Real life, Matt."
Matt Miller: "Oh God! You're one of those."
Matt and King
- Matt Miller: "I can't imagine what it must be like for a distinguished gentleman such as yourself to be brought back into the street gang."
Ben King: "Actually, I don't mind stretching my legs a bit. Things are different now, of course, because we're avenging the Earth."
Matt Miller: "True, I imagine it was much worse when you were just a thug trying to make a name for yourself in a world of crime and vice."
Ben King: "A thug? Are you saying that I was just a thug back in Stilwater?"
Matt Miller: "Oh, no. Of course not, I-I just mean, you know that poverty and drugs and the ever widening gulf between the upper and lower economic classes and hip-hop culture."
Ben King: "You really wanna shut your mouth now, son."
Matt Miller: "Yes, Mr. King."
Matt and Kinzie
- Kinzie: "In case I hadn't said it yet, Matt, you're doing a fine job."
Matt Miller: "Thank you, Kinzie. That's very big of you."
Kinzie: "You know, I originally thought you running home to England in exchange for amnesty and a job with MI6 was cowardice, but you helped quite a bit with the Cyrus Temple mission."
Matt Miller: "Yes I did, and you did a fine job of keeping everything together after the Earth blew up, until I could be retrieved to take over."
Kinzie: "Oh Matt, you were so close."
Matt and Pierce
- Matt Miller: "Of all the Saints, Pierce, I admit I feel the most direct kinship with you."
Pierce: "[Sarcastically] Why? Because we're both British?"
Matt Miller: "We're outcasts, you and I. Strangers even amongst peers."
Pierce: "[Sarcastically] Yeah. I guess, Matt."
Matt Miller: "Tough to hear Shaundi tell it, she doesn't consider you much of a peer at all."
Pierce: "She what? Dammit, I knew she felt that way."
Matt and Roddy
- Matt Miller: "This is... probably a strange time to mention it, but you were one of the best bad guys in wrestling history."
Roddy Piper: "Oh well, that's very kind of you to say."
Matt Miller: "You were probably my favorite wrestler of all time."
Roddy Piper: "Thank you."
Matt Miller: "I even had one of your action figures, I had another of myself too, homemade, not professional of course. I'd pretend we were tag team partners and we'd obliterate our opponents with devastating moves."
Roddy Piper: "Oh yeah?"
Matt Miller: "As our co-op finisher you would throw me over your head and I'd land on the opponent and deliver a massive suplex in midair. Then you and I would go have a tea-party with Mr. Fluffykins and Penelope Rabbit."
Roddy Piper: "I'm gonna be over here, kid."
Matt and Shaundi
- Matt Miller: "Who would have thought, eh? You and me fighting side by side."
Shaundi: "Certainly not me."
Matt Miller: "But it's good. Your brawn and my brains, your sass and my good looks, we're like a buddy cop show."
Shaundi: "The one where the pissed off ex-gang member gets a dog for a partner so she straps it to the roof of the cop car and drives down the freeway at 131 miles per hour?"
Matt Miller: "That's not a real show."
Cyrus and Matt
- Cyrus: "Aren't you the kid who hacked into STAG secure database and changed all the top secret filenames to...What was it? Something with an R."
Matt Miller: "What? Me? No, I'm sure of thinking of somebody else. I'm a member of MI6."
Cyrus: "I remember, RagnarokWins. You sure that wasn't you?"
Matt Miller: "RagnarokWinsAgain. And yes that totally wasn't me."
Julius and Matt
- Julius: "So, is it true you once tried to kill the President?"
Matt Miller: "Well, it was before they were President. But, well, yes."
Julius: "That's something we have in common, then."
Matt Miller: "You tried to... really?"
Julius: "Tried to blow 'em up on a boat."
Matt Miller: "Impressive, I tried to trap their mind inside a virtual world that would render them brain dead and leave their body to rot in meat space."
Julius: "So, kinda like Zinyak then?"
Matt Miller: "What? No, nothing like... ha, well I'll be damned."
Maero and Matt
- Maero: "You know, I had a best friend named Matt once."
Matt Miller: "Oh really? What was he like?"
Maero: "Good guy, good guitarist, great tattoo artist."
Matt Miller: "Sounds like a good man. What happened to him?"
Maero: "The Saints lit his hand and arm on fire."
Matt Miller: "I knew this had a bad ending."
Phillipe and Matt
- Matt Miller: "It's nice to see you again, Mr. Loren."
Phillipe: "Please, Matt, call me Phillipe."
Matt Miller: "Really? Oh, all right then. It's nice to get to talk to you on a more personal level."
Phillipe: "I like that idea very much, I even have a topic for us."
Matt Miller: "Oh? What might that be?"
Phillipe: "Tell me what happened to Kiki and Viola."
Matt Miller: "On second thought, I have enough friends."
Tanya and Matt
- Tanya: "You're from Steelport, right?"
Matt Miller: "Not originally, but yes, I spent some time there."
Tanya: "I heard it's a nice place. I thought about setting up an expansion of my business there once."
Matt Miller: "Really? And that type of business was this?"
Tanya: "Oh, you know. Prostitution, mostly."
Matt Miller: "Oh."
Tanya: "Any chance you might be looking for a good time?"
Matt Miller: "No, thank you, ma'am."
Veteran Child and Matt
- Veteran Child: "Pretty crazy, huh? The Saints bringing back us bad guys to help em out."
Matt Miller: "I'm actually not a bad guy anymore, I've worked with the Saints before."
Veteran Child: "Wait, I thought I heard you were the head of the gang, right? And you tried to take out the Saints back in Steelport?"
Matt Miller: "Yes, that's right. But I'm reformed. The Saints beat me and I went back to England, joined MI6 and all that."
Veteran Child: "The Saints beat you and let you leave? They let you live?"
Matt Miller: "Yes?"
Veteran Child: "What the hell. This is bullshit, man."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Image:
- ↑ Activity: Heli Assault, Hard instance
- ↑ Saints Row Wiki: Saints Row: The Third credits
- ↑ Image:
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Mission: "http://deckers.die"
- ↑ Dialogue:
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Gameinformer: Who's Who In Saints Row: The Third - Matt Miller, retrieved July 4th 2011
- ↑ Activity: Heli Assault, Hard Instance
- ↑ Mission: I'm Free - Free Falling
- ↑ Mission: The Ho Boat
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Mission: Trojan Whores
- ↑ Mission: Live! With Killbane
- ↑ Mission: Learning Computer
- ↑ Mission: Stop all the Downloading
- ↑ Newscast: http://deckers.die
- Jane Valderamma: "Computer security experts breathed a sigh of relief today as word spread that super hacker Matt Miller has sworn off modern technology and left town. Former associates of Mr Miller has stated that he has always been fascinated by Neo-Luddism and decided it was time to make a change. Some experts in the field have speculated that recent cyberwarfare initiatives by STAG and the Saints lead to Matt Miller's change of heart, but both organizations were too busy celebrating to comment. This is Jane Valderamma with your Steelport Cyber News."
- ↑ Image:
- ↑ Mission: Zero Saints Thirty
- ↑ Mission: The Saints Wing
- ↑ Mission: Miller-Space
- ↑ Mission: Matt's Back
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 Mission: Nytefall
- ↑ Mission: Gat Time, Fun Time
- ↑ Cutscene: Opening cutscene
- ↑ Cutscene: End-game cutscene
- ↑ Image:
- ↑ Homie Conversation:
Angel and Burt
- Angel: "It's been a long time, Reynolds."
Burt: "Do I know you?"
Angel: "Mexico, '96. Murderbrawl XIII."
Burt: "Oh. You look... different when you're not unconscious."
Angel: "I underestimated you. I thought you were just an actor. I didn't realize you were the man who trained Bear Trap Calhoun."
Burt: "Not your fault, kid. The Cutter can come from anywhere."
- Angel: "It's been a long time, Reynolds."
- ↑ Audio:
- ↑ Note: Murderbrawl 13 took place in 1996. Murderbrawl 31 takes place during Saints Row: The Third. Saints Row: The Third therefore takes place 18 years after 1996, and Matt Miller was born 16 years before Saints Row: The Third = 1998
- ↑ Mission: Rest in Peace
- ↑ Image:
- ↑ Image: