In October 2015, I began a trial of replacing the reference marker from  to *.
- (All references in this post are fake)
The purpose of the change was to make the references less obtrusive, as the default format was sometimes jarring when reading a paragraph containing many of them.
The trial* went so well* that no-one mentioned it* until yesterday*, when one person contacted me* to tell me they were hard to see.*
I have now enlarged them*, to make them slightly* easier to see*, while trying* to keep them as unobtrusive* as possible.*
- Which version do you prefer?
- Do you think the * version is too hard to see?
- Do you think the * version is too large?
- Would you prefer either the * or * be gray?
- Do you have any other suggestions?
Here are some examples from an article:
(last edited: 452, 2016-04-28T02:06:39Z)
- Gray is less noticeable IMO. The small * looks okay for me.
- Kaminaze, 2016-04-28T02:00:09Z