In their infinite wisdom, Wikia Staff have decided that Anonymous users - everyone who views the wiki without logging in - do not deserve to be able to access File pages.
What is a File page? Every image or other file on the wiki has a page associated with it.
Example: File:Keith davids bills d.png. Logged in users can see the File page (open the link in an incognito/private window to see what happens when you're not logged in.)
But people not logged in are redirected without any notification of the redirect, and have to hunt through the page to find the image themselves.
What else does this mean?
- If people who are not logged in try to download an image, it will probably be corrupt. (example)
- People not logged in cannot easily download the original size version of an image.
- People not logged in cannot easily see the file page edit history.
- People not logged in cannot easily see the file upload history.
- People not logged in cannot see previous versions of the file at all.
- People not logged in cannot easily see where else a file is used.
- People not logged in cannot easily access the file talk page.
- People not logged in cannot easily edit the file page, such as to add a delete template.
- People not logged in cannot be directly linked to files not used in the main namespace.
When viewing an article, clicking an image usually shows a popup with a larger version of the image, but not always.
For instance, all infobox images link directly to File pages, so if someone not logged in clicks on any infobox image, it just refreshes the page - or takes them to a completely different article if the image was first used elsewhere.
Additionally, all normal links to non-images, such as Game Manual PDFs become impossible to access. I will update all links to PDFs across the wiki to address this.
Example PDF link: File:Saints Row online manual xbox.pdf (open the link in an incognito/private window to see what happens when you're not logged in.)
The purpose of Wikis is freedom of access to information. This is outright discrimination against people who do not have Wikia accounts.
user:452 16:20, December 7, 2019 (UTC)
And so many external links to file pages now won't take people where they wanted to go. The correct way to link people to a file on the wiki is to link to the file page, so that they can then explore the wiki instead of just dead-ending on the file, but now, any links on forums etc will redirect to articles instead. 16:38, December 7, 2019 (UTC)
And due to the lightbox not showing audio and video files, direct links such as this video and this audio file, redirect anon users to the main page, and tells them the file is unavailable. Which is utter fucking bullshit. 452 16:31, January 14, 2020 (UTC)