|Assault on Precinct 31|
Marked: 0. Minimum kills: 0
- Chief Bradshaw learns the meaning of "irony"
- — Stilwater Gazette newspaper headline
Playa and Shaundi discuss their plans on how to get to The General and finish off the Sons of Samedi. Shaundi recommends they tap into the traffic cameras at the Police Headquarters to find The General's Hounfor. Playa is again resistant to bring Shaundi along with them, but admits they do not know how to hack the cameras there, so Shaundi comes along.
After donning the disguise of repairmen, the two succeed in hacking the monitoring system, but must fight their way out of the station and back to the Saints Hideout. Once there, Playa has the 3rd Street Saints set up the camera system and tells their gang they want someone watching it until The General is located.
The following text has been transcribed verbatim from the game files.
Upon completion of the mission, it is available in-game at Newspaper Clipboards.
In one of the hardest missions in the game, "Assault on Precinct 31" begins fairly easy.
- Find the repairman
- Hijack the repair van
There are three ways to hijack the repair van: killing the driver, causing enough damage that the driver flees, or simply entering it.
It is possible to skip this objective by shooting the van from a distance, immediately activating the next objective.
- He's getting away
If the van gets too far away, there is a 30 second timer to catch up.
- Park the van at the Police Station
Drive to the Police Station.
- Enter the Police Station
During this objective there is a hint to not show weapons in the Police Station, and the equipped weapon automatically changes to fists.
The objective is completed by entering the marker, not by entering the Police Station.
- Get to the terminal
This objective only appears if Notoriety is gained before completing the Enter the Police Station objective. The GPS shows the destination
If this objective is triggered, Notoriety is increased to level 4, and the next two objectives are skipped.
- Check in at the front desk
There is a marker in front of the front desk that triggers a short cutscene.
This objective is completed either by entering the marker, entering any other door, drawing a weapon, or acquiring Notoriety.
Completing this objective by any means other than entering the marker triggers level 4 Notoriety.
- Go to the camera room on the fourth floor
Idling at the front desk for too long causes the police to become hostile, triggering level 4 Notoriety.
After entering the marker in the doorway of the camera room, Shaundi begins hacking into the surveillance system. If the camera room is entered via a window, Shaundi isn't triggered.
- Defend the room
After a few seconds, level 4 Notoriety is added if it wasn't already.
Shaundi must be defended against a few waves of police officers. Unfortunately, Shaundi takes a long time to hack into the system, and there is not a constant stream of police, so there is a lot of waiting. A SWAT unit arrives on the heliport after a while and attack from behind if the roof door is open; they are just as easily killed, however.
- Escort Shaundi out of the police station
Shaundi mentions that there is a helicopter on the roof, but it is not a mission requirement to use it.
- Get the equipment back to the hideout
The final checkpoint in the mission is just before Shaundi began the hack - there is no checkpoint when she finishes. Shaundi recommends taking the helicopter: doing it is difficult in the patched version of the game, as Tornados fire rockets, and the Oppressor is very weak to rockets and has no way of defending itself; if and when the Tornado fires a rocket, it can destroy the Oppressor very quickly.
Destroying the Tornado before getting into the Oppressor is a risky strategy. It takes a lot of damage, and another Tornado eventually spawns, so it is important to reach the Saints Hideout quickly after the Tornado has been destroyed. A McManus 2015 can shoot off the Tornado's rocket launchers to prevent them being used.
Another strategy is to ignore Shaundi and pay attention to the marker on the map instead. Go downstairs and exit the building, and grab a FBI or Bear instead. Quickly follow the GPS route towards the Saints Hideout but, on the way, be sure to use the Forgive and Forget confessional located on the left of the road. With luck and patience, this mission may prove no harder than any other.
The mission is successfully completed by landing on the Saints Hideout helipad, or entering the marker outside the Saints Hideout.
To begin the final mission of the Sons of Samedi story arc, "The Shopping Maul", all four Sons of Samedi Strongholds must be completed: "Elysian Fields Trailer Park", "Bavogian Plaza Drug Labs", "Stilwater University Student Union", and "Sunnyvale Gardens Fishing Dock".
This mission can be failed by killing Shaundi, abandoned Shaundi, losing the van, or destroying the van.
- The name of this mission is both a reference to the 1976 movie Assault on Precinct 13 and the "31 Theory" Easter Egg.
- Only Playa and Shaundi wear the repairman disguise; other Homies brought along for this mission wear their usual attire.
- The repairman uniforms Playa and Shaundi wear are purple, the color that represents the Row, even while undercover.
- Checking the wiretaps on the third floor during "Assault on Precinct 31", gives four units of Notoriety, but the police do not pursue Shaundi.
- It is possible to keep both the NRG V8 Repair van and Repair outfit, either the first time through the mission, or during a replay.
- To keep the Repair outfit, use the countdown method to exit the mission without a fail screen, then save reload before saving the outfit in the Wardrobe. This is the same method used to keep the Fuzz and Crowd Control outfits.
- To keep the Repair van, be inside the vehicle when using any glitch to exit the replay.
- This mission is one of three gang-arc missions in Saints Row 2 which do not unlock a neighborhood. The others are "Veteran Child" and "Waste Not Want Not". This may be due to this mission taking place in Ultor territory.
- The headline "Chief Bradshaw learns the meaning of 'irony'" is a reference to how he, as an undercover cop, infiltrated the Saints, and now, ironically, the Saints have infiltrated a police station.
- Four SWAT team members appear at the helipad since the start of the mission and can be killed before or after hijacking a repair van.
- The repair van cannot be hijacked if it hasn't been damaged.
- The van's driver doesn't react if Playa fires a weapon.
- This is the only time police uses the VICE 9.
"Where's the Fun in Easy?" cutsceneEdit
- Shaundi: "You gonna stand there, or you gonna work out?"
Playa: "I get enough cardio running from the cops."
Shaundi: "Suit yourself."
Playa: "I'm surprised you can run 5 minutes without coughing up a lung, let alone 5 miles."
Shaundi: "I'm full of surprises."
Playa: "Then surprise me and tell me how we're gonna take out The General...."
Shaundi: "Well, that creep's always riding around in that limo of his, right?"
Shaundi: "So I figure the easiest way to find him is to go and tap into the traffic cameras at the police station."
Playa: "I don't know if "easiest" would be the word I'd use."
Shaundi: "Alright so it's not the easiest way but it's the quickest...besides now I get to tag along."
Playa: "Are you high? Or do you not remember the part where I told you that I wasn't gonna babysit you?"
Shaundi: "OK, so you're gonna hack into the traffic cameras then?"
Shaundi: "Yeah, that's what I thought...let's go boss."
- — "Where's the Fun in Easy?" cutscene
- They're not gonna let us walk in dressed like this, we gotta get some disguises.
- — Shaundi, at the start of the mission
- Shaundi: "This should be a new look for you, you look great in a jumpsuit."Shaundi: "You gotta learn how to take a compliment, boss..."Playa (Male Voice 1): "Never say that again."
Playa (Male Voice 2): "I feel ridiculous..."
Playa (Male Voice 3): "If you tell anyone I wore this I'll kill you."
Playa (Female Voice 1): "You put a picture of this on your blog I'll kill you."
Playa (Female Voice 2): "Hon, you're the last person I want fashion tips from."
Playa (Female Voice 3): "I'm sure it's slimming..."
- — After hijacking the van
- Shaundi: "Just tapping into the cameras isn't enough, that's why Pierce is jacking some electronics so we can set up surveilence at the hideout."Playa (Male Voice 1): "So once you tap into these computers you'll be able to find The General?"
Playa (Male Voice 2): "You sure tappin' the cameras is gonna work? I don't think they're gonna let us sit there and watch monitors all day..."
Playa (Male Voice 3): "So all we gotta do is get you to the monitoring station?"
Playa (Female Voice 1): "So we tap the cameras and we're golden, right?"
Playa (Female Voice 2): "We can talk about fashion later, you sure tapping the cameras is all we need to do?"
Playa (Female Voice 3): "Just let me make sure I get the plan. We hack into the traffic cameras and we find The General?"
- — On the way to the police headquarters.
- Before we go in the station remember to put your piece away, most repairmen don't wave around guns..
- — Shaundi, upon arriving at the police headquarters.
- Receptionist: "Welcome to the Stilwater Police Department, how may I help you?"Shaundi: "We're here to fix the computers in the monitoring station."Playa (Male Voice 1): "Word is you got some broke ass computers."
Playa (Male Voice 2): "Yeah, we're here to fix the...uh...the thing..."
Playa (Male Voice 3): "Well you see, there's this thing...and it's broken."
Playa (Female Voice 1): "So there's something broken right? And it's our job to fix it..."
Playa (Female Voice 2): "Yeah, I uh. We'll we need to...Shaundi you wanna take care of this?"
Playa (Female Voice 3): "We've been called in to fix...stuff..."
Receptionist: "God there's something always acting up in this place...the monitoring station's upstairs."
- — Mid-mission cutscene
- Alright lets get to the control room...
- — Shaundi, after the cutscene
- OK just give me a minute...
- — Shaundi, start hack
- So far so good...
- — Shaundi, 20% Hacked
- Halfway done...
- — Shaundi, 50% Hacked
- Just a little more...
- — Shaundi, 75% Hacked
- We're done, let's get the hell out of here!
- — Shaundi, 100% Hacked
- It's done, let's get outta here.
- — Shaundi, end
- Keep me covered, this thing's heavy...
- — Shaundi, escape
- There should be a helicopter on the roof, let's go
- — Shaundi, to go roof
- Pierce callsPierce: "I got the stuff Shaundi wanted, you sure she knows what she's doing?"Playa (Male Voice 1): "Ya know, that's a damn good question...I'll look into that."
Playa (Male Voice 2): "God I hope so. We'll meet you back home..."
Playa (Male Voice 3): "I really should have asked that before we broke into a police station shouldn't I've..."
Playa (Female Voice 1): "Damn right I'm sure. Well...I'm pretty sure, I mean there's a descent chance Shaundi knows something about computers...oh shit."
Playa (Female Voice 2): "If not at least we got some computer stuff to pawn. See ya back home..."
Playa (Female Voice 3): "Have some faith Pierce, we'll see you soon..."
- Make that two minutes...
- — Shaundi, Alarm 1
- We gotta work fast if we plan on beating that alarm...
- — Shaundi, Alarm 2
- Are you crazy? Leave me alone!
- — Repairman
- OK, if we're gonna do this the first thing we're gonna need is the gear to tap the traffic cameras...
- — Shaundi, labelled "mission start"
- We better hurry, who knows how long it will be before they check our credentials...
- — Shaundi, labelled "warning"
- Playa: "Alright people, here's the deal. We got a truck full of electronic shit that I don't know how to use...I want you guys to help unload the truck and set up shop here. Once we're up and running I want someone watching these monitors 24-7; the moment someone sees that fucking limo I wanna know about it...let's get to work."Playa turns to ShaundiPlaya: "This is going to work right?"
Playa: "You had me break into a police station for something that would probably work?"
Shaundi: "Well, ya know, I thought it would be good times."
Playa: "Thanks Shaundi."
Shaundi: "Any time."
- — "Sliver" cutscene