Not to be confused with .44 Shepherd
The 45 Shepherd is a powerful handgun in Saints Row: The Third. The name suggests that it is the successor of the .44 Shepherd, though visually it is more similar to the GDHC .50. A "brute force" firearm first and foremost, the Shepherd is favored by the various gangs in Steelport due to its flexibility and raw punch.
The Shepherd is a powerful, accurate, slow-firing firearm that is much more potent per-shot and much more accurate (at first) than the KA-1 Kobra favored by law enforcement. By default it holds 8 rounds, and its heavy barrel ensures that it's extremely accurate. Unfortunately, it has a sluggish rate of fire (dual wielding and upgrades both alleviate this) and a harsh kick, which means that using it at long-range involves taking your time and aiming it to get the most out of it, as opposed to filling the air with lead.
Upgrades only make this fierce pistol more so. The level 2 upgrade improves its rate of fire, with the level 3 increasing clip size to 14. The level 4 upgrade gives the Shepherd explosive rounds, which not only have additional punch, but which can send enemies flying through the air or damage multiple foes at once. Unfortunately, the rounds do not discriminate - they are quite capable of causing damage to allied units if fired carelessly, and can even harm the user if they're fired up close.
- More accurate than the KA-1 when first obtained
- Explosive shells can stun targets, send them flying, or damage a tightly-packed group
- Explosive shells penetrate anything
- Slower rate of fire than the KA-1
- Smaller magazine than the KA-1
- Heavy recoil
- Requires Fine Aim for accuracy, more so than the KA-1.
- Explosive shells cause splash-back and collateral damage easily
- Main article: Weapon Upgrades.
- The "45" means it fires .45 caliber ammunition.
- The 45 Shepherd resembles a Magnum Research Desert Eagle, with some influence from a SIG-Sauer P220.
- The 45 Shepherd is used by The Protagonist in many cutscenes in Saints Row: The Third, regardless of which weapon is equipped.
- ↑ Mission: Party Time
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Mission: Hit the Powder Room
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Mission: The Belgian Problem
- ↑ Mission: Return to Steelport
- ↑ Mission: Gang Bang
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Mission: My Name is Cyrus Temple
- ↑ Mission: Air Steelport
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Mission: When Good Heists Go Bad
- ↑ Mission: I'm Free - Free Falling
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Mission: STAG Party
- ↑ Note: As a Homie
- ↑ Mission: Nyte Blayde's Return
- ↑ YouTube: Saints Row: The Third - Open World Gameplay Developer Commentary , retrieved 24th July 2011
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 GameSpot: GameSpot Plays Saints Row: The Third
Check the Weapon to-do list for ways to improve Weapon articles.